St. John’s seeks applicants for Director of Religious Education
St. John’s Episcopal Church seeks to hire an enthusiastic Director of Religious Education (DRE) who will plan, lead and direct all programs for children and youth, nursery age through 12thgrade. The position is 28 hours/week, with the expectation that program growth will lead towards the DRE becoming a full-time position. The DRE will report to the Rector. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and cover letter to:
The Rev. Susan Pinkerton, St. John’s Episcopal Church, 679 Farmington Ave, West Hartford, CT 06119
St. John’s Episcopal Church’s vision is to be a welcoming, healthy and growing church family in which all people come together, belonging and connecting to God and each other as we explore the many opportunities for Christian education and spiritual formation.
Working in cooperation with the Rector and the Vestry, the DRE is given the responsibility to plan, lead, and direct all programs for children, nursery age through 12th grade.
St. John’s Children’s and Youth Ministry includes: Sunday morning Christian education activities, Word Aliveduring 10:30 Sunday worship, Sunday afternoon/evening youth activities and other special events.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in teaching or other related field, teaching certificate and/or teaching experience.
- An understanding of Christian formation as the process of forming young people as Christians through personal experience as it relates to God and the Bible.
- Position requires excellent people skills, clear and organized communication, including use of social media, confidence and joyful energy when working with children and youth.
- Familiarity with and respect for the Episcopal/Christian liturgy and traditions.
- Ability to recruit volunteers, lead dynamic and well-organized activities.
- Ability to grow existing programs and/or creatively develop new ones. Knowledge of Godly Play and Journey to Adulthood curriculums is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills with parents, the congregation, children and youth.
- Demonstrated spirit of collaboration and teamwork with a sense of humor.
- Build lasting relationships with youth, children and their families.
- Design and implement Sunday morning Christian Education programs for children and our teens, reaching out to new families and inviting them to participate in the various programs.
- Lead and coordinate bi-annual pilgrimage and bi-annual mission trip for the youth groups.
- Identify, recruit, train and motivate adult volunteers to serve as teachers and leaders to the various Christian Education children/youth programs.