Outdoor services to begin on July 26, Sundays at 5 p.m.
St. John’s will hold a short outdoor service of scriptures, prayers and a sermon at 5 p.m. on Sundays, starting on July 26. If you plan to attend any 5 p.m. outdoor service, please review and follow the guidelines below, and RSVP so we have an idea of how many will attend. You may RSVP online or by calling the office at 860-523-5201 and leaving a message in the General Mailbox (press 0 during the recorded greeting).
The following measures are designed to keep everyone safe as we worship together.
- Please do not attend if any of the following apply. We will continue to offer online services on Sunday mornings, which you may watch live or afterward.
- You or a household member are in a vulnerable group for COVID-19 infection.
- You are not feeling well or have symptoms associated with COVID-19.*
- You have recently traveled.
- You have recently had a positive coronavirus test.
- Outdoor services will be held on the west lawn (the large grassy area on the corner of South Highland Street and Farmington Avenue).
- Bring lawn chairs or a blanket for you/your family to sit on. We will have extra chairs available for those unable to bring their own.
- Maintain a six-foot distance from everyone other than your own household at all times, including when seated, arriving and departing.
- Household members must remain together at all times while on church property.
- Masks/cloth face coverings that cover the nose and mouth are required for those over the age of 2 years.
- Bring hand sanitizer or use what we provide.
- Greet and share the Peace with non-household members from at least six feet away by waving, nodding your head, giving a peace sign, etc.
- Indoor restroom access is available but restricted.
- Paper bulletins will be available. Please take your bulletin home or recycle it in the designated bin.
- Vergers, who are a new addition to St. John’s services, will help ensure everyone’s safety.** Please follow all directions given by vergers, ushers and clergy.
- Please RSVP by noon on Sunday, online or by phone. This will let us know how many people to plan for and how to set up socially distanced seating.
- Sign up online at https://tinyurl.com/SundayService5pm OR
- Call the church office at 860-523-5201, press 0 when you hear the recorded greeting, and leave a message in the General Mailbox.
- If the service is cancelled due to weather or other considerations, we will make our best effort to reach out by e-mail or phone no later than 4:30 p.m. to everyone who RSVP’d.
*COVID-19 symptoms: Temperature of 100.4° or higher, cough, shortness of breath, new loss of taste or smell, fatigue, muscle or body aches, congestion or runny nose, headache, sore throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
**Vergers are a new ministry at St. John’s, although they are a traditional lay leadership position in many Episcopal churches. Initially, our vergers will provide safety information and ensure that guidelines are followed. Eventually, they will assume a more traditional verger role of overseeing worship service logistics.