Our choir teaches more than just music
Singers in the St. John’s Choir School make music at the highest level, alongside adult singers. The boys and girls have a special opportunity to develop the values of self-esteem, positive attitude, respect, team spirit, discipline, and service to others, all while experiencing the power of music with professional, adult expectations.
By the time of graduation (or advancement into our adult program), singers will have confidence to meet many of the challenges of their future lives. St. John’s church is a beautiful, safe, inspiring place in which to make music and connect with other children and adults.
What Children can Expect
- The hard work of singing well, and also a lot of fun!
- Making new friends who are as excited about music as you are.
- Travel, non-singing activities, and a fantastic choir camp in August, including confidence training, swimming, skits, outdoor fun & more.
- Learning the world’s greatest choral music in its original form with adult singers, not simplified arrangements for “children’s choir.”
- A monthly stipend, based on attendance and level of experience. Pay ranges from $12 to $40 per month.
- Rehearsing one day a week, and singing two Sunday mornings per month.
What Parents can Expect
- Brain power! The study of music stimulates and often dramatically improves a child’s overall intellectual development and academic performance.
- A choral education teaches problem solving, spatial reasoning, cooperation and an appreciation or excellence, along with patience.
- Community. Parents will find themselves part of an extended and vital “choir family” proud of the whole team’s accomplishments.
- Commitment. As the choir sings every other Sunday, there is considerable flexibility in scheduling other activities including participation in other churches. The most important requirement after formal admission to the choir is an unwavering commitment of time – steadfast attendance at rehearsals and services. Schedules are published online well in advance (see: www.sjparish.net) and families are expected to plan around them. Absences are granted under special circumstances, except on certain days in the life of the church, such as Christmas Eve and Easter, when we need everyone present.
There is no enrollment fee. Costs are paid by the Church, except for choir camp and certain trips, for which financial aid is available. The choir is open to new members each fall, with recruiting in the spring/summer.
If you know a child who may be interested in this experience, please contact us. You’ll be glad you did!
St. John’s Choir School is open to boys and girls age 7 1⁄2 and up (must be able to read), and boys with treble voices.
Visit www.reddoormusic.org/choirschool for more information about how to apply.