Children, Youth & Families
Weekly offerings during the program year
September 11, 2022 – June 4, 2023
Nursery is open and staffed Sundays 9am to noon
Sunday School for primary (3-6 years old), elementary (2nd-5th grade), and middle school (6th-8th grade) happens on Sundays at 9:30. During this time, high school students are encouraged to attend the adult forum, sing in the adult choir, work in the nursery, or gather informally in the main area of the education wing.
EYC (Youth Group) for middle and high school Sundays at 5pm (dinner included).
– In Primary (ages 3-6), children learn that God loves them and that they are invited to share that love. They begin learning about the church calendar, about the feasts of Christmas and Easter, and about baptism and eucharist. They are invited to wonder and explore.
– The Elementary class (grades 2-5) delves into the stories of the Bible as well as the stories of the saints, symbols, and sacraments of the Church. Our elementary students have room to ask big questions and to practice love of God and love of neighbor. Favorite activities include skits, using Lego blocks to retell stories, and writing their own versions of parables.
– In Middle School, youth spend time with the stories of the Bible and how they might speak to their own experience. Our middle schoolers enjoy updating stories, writing prayers, and using Lego blocks to share the Good News. We encourage big questions and do not try to fit everyone into the same one-size-fits-all answer.
What is EYC?
EYC is a weekly activity for middle and high school youth. Dinner is always included. Some weeks focus on fellowship, while others focus on service or worship. Here are some examples:
– video scavenger hunts
– game night
– Global Philanthropy Leaders: once a month, EYC focuses on global engagement through Bible Study, financial education, and microlending.
– making upcycled chew toys for shelter dogs out of old tee-shirts
– cooking a meal for Loaves and Fishes, a local feeding ministry
– making and hiding blessing rocks
– Dismantling Racism, a six-week curriculum for youth
Special Events Fall 2022: Mark your calendar!
Sunday, August 28: Blessing of the Backpacks at the 9 and 10:30 services
Friday, September 9: St. John’s goes to the Yard Goats!
Sunday, October 2 at 4pm: St. Francis Day pet blessing and dog wash fundraiser
Sunday, October 30, 4pm: Trunk or Treat at St. John’s
Sunday, November 6: Feast of All Saints (traditional baptism day)
Sunday, December 11 at 3pm: Lessons and Carols
Sunday, December 18: Christmas Pageant
Ways for Children, Youth & Families to Serve
Make sandwiches for Loaves and Fishes on the final Sunday of the month at 11:45am
Decorate your car for Trunk or Treat on 10/30. Hand out treats and get to know our neighbors.
Be a lay reader: youth and adults serve as scripture readers at Sunday services on a rotating schedule.
Be an usher: Ushers welcome people and perform other duties during the 10:30 service. Parent-child collaboration is encouraged!
Be an acolyte: Children and youth grades 4 and above can train to carry the cross and torch at the 10:30 Sunday service and for special services (such as Christmas Eve).
Sing in the choir: The Choir School (ages 7.5 and above) and the Adult Choir practice weekly. The Primary Choir is for ages 3-7 and sings several times during the year. Email email@example.com for information.
Fill the Blessing Box: We maintain a Little Free Pantry (blessing box) on Farmington Avenue for our neighbors experiencing hunger. Put a few items of nonperishable food in the box whenever you can.